Monday, August 24, 2009
Who Won the War?
On the way to school, the kids and I were listening to the public radio on the topic of Vietnam war veterans home coming in Lambeau field in Green Bay, in May 2010. They called it LZ (Landing Zone) Lambeau, to welcome the Vietnam war veteran home because they have never been officially welcomed home from the war...
They were talking about other wars as well: Gulf war, Korean war, Iraq... and Kyle said, "Mama, I heard they were talking about Korean war!" My brain spinned fast , should I explain to him? should I not? But I thought, well, what the heck, he is 7 and he should know.
So, I told him about what Korean war is, and how it was one country - Korea and because of the war, now it is North and South Korea.... Kyle asked which country won the war. My answer was everybody lose. When there is a war, nobody win...
It is a fact, but everyone still hopes that there got to be a winner. Even Kyle thinks that when people fight, there is a winner.
But history has taught us that there is no victory in the war. When people die in the war, you lose the lives, the loves, the humanity, the happiness, the relationships...
Who said somebody will win the war?
I choke up when hearing the veterans talk. The documentary that they are going to air about the veterans would be hard to watch. They and their families are left alone dealing with their physical and emotional issues, and the problems have never been gone away, it is still here and only ordinary people show their cares, not the government, who started all this. It seems like in this world, the government or the authority in a country will initiate a movement, then, the people of the country will clean up the mess....
I was watching a documentary about Burma and there is one farmer said, the government should be like the parents of the people in a country. But when you look around the countries in the world, the governments are not like parents. They are like trouble kids, causing the troubles, then the people of the country, have to be like parents, cleaning up their messy acts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have always wished that Korea will re-unite again one day. I was so hopeful when Germany re-united, thinking the next one would be Korea. Unfortunately after decades, it's not even close to achieving that. It's sad that politic & leaders of countries cause separation of families and friends.
ReplyDelete